Snow is precipitation in the form of crystalline water ice, consisting of a multitude of snowflakes. Since it is composed of small rough particles it is a granular material. It has an open and therefore soft structure, unless packed by external pressure. Snow is commonly formed when water vapor undergoes deposition high in the atmosphere at a temperature of less than 0°C (32°F), and then falls to the ground.



My Dad


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





My Dad gave a speech the other day at the Relay for Life in Campbell River, BC. The Relay For Life is an annual event put on by the Canadian Cancer Foundation www.cancer.ca to raise money for Cancer Research.

Although I couldn't be there to listen I did hear from a number of friends that it was an excellent speech. Considering how close it was to father's day - I think that the speech - below is an excellent way to sum up what an excellent Dad I have! Happy Fathers Day!


The Fourth Annual Campbell River Relay For Life

June 17th 2006


This is an honor and a privilege to talk to you, participants and fellow survivors. This is such a wonderful event because it exemplifies the human spirit and is an endeavor to conquer this disease that many of us have been directly or indirectly been affected by. In my case not only myself but also my Mother and Brother were affected by cancer.

In many ways it is an individual journey and many here have gone on that journey – “we are the survivors.” In my case it was prostate cancer. When I was told that my biopsy
result was positive, like so many of us survivors my first thought was that cancer equates to death but I have learned that this is not true. We survivors have a refreshing tendency to be tough-minded realists, people who clearly understand what cancer may mean and we recognize a truth that cancer may or may not mean death. “Yes I may die. But I also may live and I am going to invest my time, whatever the length, in living the best way I know how.” I always liked the saying from John Milton’s “Paradise Lost”

“The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.”

I chose to make a Heaven of Hell.

I was first given a hormone shot to reduce the size of the prostate; as a result I have much empathy for women who have “hot flashes.” As my body became drenched in perspiration and my face reddened, I would sometimes get a strange look from my friends as I tried to execute my usual inconsistent golf swing.

I was faced with the dilemma as I had to make the decision as to the type of treatment -“radical prostectomy, bracytherapy therapy, which is a radiated seed implant and external beam radiation. I then proceeded to research such things as PSA (prostate specific antigen) Gleason Score, Staging, and Partin Score as well as to talk to many individuals who were in a similar situation. I decided to do the bracytherapy.

I also looked at my eating habits – less meat and sugar, more fruits and vegetables, and I drank green tea, as it is a good antioxidant. I drank so much green tea that at times I felt I was beginning to turn green. Once in awhile I cheated and still do, as I have a weakness for the odd “apple fritters” and soft ice cream. I also introduced myself to a wide variety of vitamins – “a” “e” “d,” multi’s, selenium, - you name it I tried it but I found one of the best remedies was exercise. A healthy body and a positive attitude are fundamental in attacking this disease.

Four months after I found out that I had cancer, our son, Jim decided that he would raise funds for cancer by biking across Canada. On August 14th he left Victoria and 7571 kilometers later he arrive in St. Johns Nfd. on October 19th. He biked for 54 days and averaged 141 kilometers a day. This is like riding from Campbell River to Nanaimo each day for 54 days. I was a very proud father, but I was dumbstruck, as I had had difficulty getting him to take the garbage can out on a Friday morning. Like my son’s ride, this event represents the same courage and fortitude to do something about cancer.

This journey also brought more realism and meaning to my life, recognizing that I am fortunate to be born in such a wonderful country and live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. This realism hits home when I realize that if I lived in Malawi Africa my life expectancy would have been only 37.6 years, so I am well ahead of the game. We are also very fortunate to have a medical system that supports us when needed. Too often we take it for granted.

It is also wonderful to be associated with an exuberant group of Dragon Boaters, who are trying to teach me to keep my elbow up when I paddle. They are an enthusiastic, supportive and a caring group of survivors.

The image of Terry Fox running will always be with me as he set an example of courage, determination and caring. This is what this event is about.

There will be a cure found for cancer thanks to people like you who make an effort to be involved in this event to raise funds for cancer research, but more importantly provide support to us survivors.

I thank you and salute all of you as participants in the Fourth Annual Relay For Life

-Stu Meldrum






CONTACT

  • jcmeldrum at gmail dot com
  • vancouver bc canada

FAMILY


SKIING



TRAVEL