Snow is precipitation in the form of crystalline water ice, consisting of a multitude of snowflakes. Since it is composed of small rough particles it is a granular material. It has an open and therefore soft structure, unless packed by external pressure. Snow is commonly formed when water vapor undergoes deposition high in the atmosphere at a temperature of less than 0°C (32°F), and then falls to the ground.



Ride Across AB


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Day 11
Aug. 24/02
Fernie BC - Fort Macleod AB
Route: Hwy #3
Dist. 152.01 km
Odom. 1324.4 km
Tm. Riding 6h 36m 32s
Avg. Spd. 23.0 km/hr
Max. 52.5 km/hr

I left Fernie around 8:30AM cool morning breezes accompanied me up the Crow's Nest Pass, the last major climb of my journey. I reached the Alberta border within a few hours. In comparison to previous climbs today was very minor.

On Inclines vs. Headwinds

There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that I prefer a tough uphill climb to a light headwind! Headwinds sap every last once of strength from you and give you nothing in return. Hills often end with the reward of a speedy descent from the summit.

I rode through the border and downward. I met up with my support team. We wandered around a tourist site, Leitch Collieries, where coal was processed in the days of old. To this point the wind had been blowing in my direction. I had been making very good headway, however during our sightseeing the wind changed direction. The final two hours were very hard work which I let my body perform as I occupied my mind with sites of numerous windmills near the road.

Day 12
Aug. 25/02 Fort Macleod - Grassy Lake AB
Route: Hwy #3
Dist. 138.5 km
Odom. 1463.4 km
Tm. Riding 5h 31m 41s
Avg. Spd. 25.0 km/hr
Max. 52.0 km/hr

Left Fort Macleod at 7:15AM in cool weather, I had to wear a wind shell to keep the chill off. I didn’t bother with breakfast (aside from a Snickers Bar) until I reached Lethbridge about 50 kilometers from Fort Macleod. Approaching Lethbridge from the west there is a beautiful wildlife reserve. Upon arriving in town I was a little lightheaded, so I went directly to McDonald's where I enjoyed: a Western Omelet Bagel, Ham and Egg McMuffin, hash browns, and coffee. I felt much better after this meal!

Broken clouds rolled in and out all day often shading me from the hot sun. I continued on to Taber, well known for its corn, which we enjoyed that very evening. Sections of road near Taber were literally covered with grasshoppers. I could not help but run over many of them resulting in a loud crunch! Others tried to jump clear of my wheels but ended up caught in my whirling spokes making another very distinct sound. At times they were so thick that they were hitting my ankles and jumping onto my chest, not very pleasurable. Grasshoppers should stick to the GRASS as their name implies. Towards Grassy Lakes, I was attacked by swarms of tiny green flies. Yuck.

Although I've spent a good percentage of my time looking at pavement, or being annoyed by insects, I'm amazed with the expansive skylines here in the prairies. We spent the night in a Hamlet? A small village called Grassy Lakes it has a nice campsite with very clean showers!


Day 13
Aug. 26/
Grassy Lakes - Medicine Hat AB
Route: Hwy #3
Dist. 91.89 km
Odom. 1555.3 km
Tm. Riding 3h 19m 59s
Avg. Spd. 27.7 km/hr
Max. 47.0 km/hr

Easier riding mostly accompanied by a tailwind. I rode to Medicine Hat non-stop, where I met up with Barrett, Jill, their daughter Marnie, and Jill's mom Marnie (note: that’s two Marnies)! Luckily I arrived before a major thunder and lightning storm! We toured the town, including Medalta, a famous glassworks.

Day 14-16 Aug. 27-29/02

Three days off

Spent some time in Calgary, visiting my cousin Kari her husband Robin and their two kids Brennan and Max. Also spent time in Medicine Hat with cousin Barrett his wife Jill, and their daughter Marnie! I was sad to say goodbye to my support team. Seems I'll be on my own for a while.






CONTACT

  • jcmeldrum at gmail dot com
  • vancouver bc canada

FAMILY


SKIING



TRAVEL